Learn to swim or improve current ability in classes designed for teens
- Ages: 13-17 years
- Class length: 40 minutes
- Five-class session cost: $45 for Y members and $100 for non-members
Note: participating child must be a Y member to receive the discounted rate
This swim class is for teens that have not had swimming lessons or are not comfortable in water. Swimmers learn fundamental skills, adjust to the water and develop proficiency in the pool. Class typically consists of learning strokes such as front and back crawl, elementary backstroke, scissors kick, whip kick, treading water and diving. Instructors work with swimmers on stroke development, rotary breathing and water safety instruction.
- Ratio: Four students to one instructor
- Requirements: None
This class is for teens that have basic swimming experience and want to improve their strokes. Swimmers refine lead-up stroke skills, begin developing endurance through swimming strokes and treading water and learn more about basic rescue and safety skills.
- Ratio: Six students to one instructor
- Requirements: Successfully completed Teen Beginner class or the ability to perform equivalent skills
More teen programs in the pool
- Specialty classes —learn about competitive swimming and diving, prepare for future lifeguard or swim instructor positions at the Y, or enjoy sports like log rolling, snorkeling and synchronized swimming.
- Swim Team —an opportunity to work with trained coaches to improve swimming skills and endurance in a competitive environment.
- Lifeguard training —complete certification or renewal training to be a lifeguard.
- Water exercise classes —low-impact water workout classes are free for YMCA members.