Enjoy a vacation around home
Looking for something fun to do without having to battle the traffic to get out of town? Stick around for a summer staycation in the Twin Cities. There are oodles of ways to get out and get active when the weather is warm!
Pack a picnic and head to the park
Beyond the playgrounds and green space found at area parks, there are also plenty of free activities.
- Head to Minneapolis Music and Movies in the Parks
- Visit Lyndale Park Gardens to enjoy the Japanese peace garden and the country’s second-oldest public rose garden
- Bring along your GPS to try your hand at geocaching within the Three Rivers Park system
Absorb all the art
The metro area is home to several accolades when it comes to the arts. Enjoy the cultural offerings around town and get in a good amount of walking while you do it.
- Stroll among the contemporary art pieces at the Walker Art Center—enjoy free admission the first Saturday of every month and put around the mini golf in the sculpture garden while you’re there
- Cover some artistic ground with the Made Here initiative, featuring art, performance and more—for free
- Museum hop in St. Paul and enjoy science, history, transportation and fun for kids—there’s a museum for everyone
Paddle, pedal and push around town
Cruise around to get a new perspective on your hometown—while you get a workout in.
- Tour the city on a Nice Ride bike
- Explore the Mississippi River by kayak with a tour
- Rent something to paddle or pedal at Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet, Lake Nokomis, Minnehaha Falls or Lake Phalen
- Grab a skateboard or inline skates and get gnarly at a YMCA Wheel Park
End up at an event
From farmers markets to festivals to fairs, summer in the Twin Cities is packed with celebrations and exciting events. Find something for your family in these event listings: