by the Chef Marshall O'Brien Group
Zingy Dijon vinaigrette dressing and the added crunch of red bell pepper and toasted slivered almonds make this easy salad a real taste and texture treat. Use extra lentils and asparagus left over from a previous meal and you can put this together in no time!
- 4 cups cooked green or brown lentils
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups roasted or sautéed asparagus, in bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced medium
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almonds, chopped, sliced or slivered
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon vinaigrette, or to taste (recipe below)
- Cook lentils according to package directions. Chill and set aside.
- Roast asparagus ahead of time; chill and set aside. Combine all ingredients except salad dressing.
- When ready to serve, toss with desired amount of Dijon Vinaigrette until dressing is evenly distributed.
Makes 1 cup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- Black pepper, to taste
- Whisk all ingredients in bowl until combined, or place in jar with airtight lid and shake vigorously.
- Taste and adjust flavor with lemon juice as desired. Store in refrigerator; keeps one week.
The Chef Marshall O’Brien Group is a dedicated assembly of professionals based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, committed to the goal of using nutrition to get kids and families to lead happier, healthier lives.