by the Chef Marshall O’Brien Group
You will have a tasty, healthy meal ready to eat when the family walks in the door when you use a slow cooker. This one pot chicken dinner is just the ticket on a cold winter day!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 9 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ teaspoon basil, dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or as needed
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, giblet/neck packet removed from cavity
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups onion, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil into empty slow cooker. Use paper napkin or toweling to grease slow cooker by rubbing oil around bottom and lower half of walls.
- Turn on slow cooker at low setting.
- Place potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and onions in slow cooker and mix with half of salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Rub whole chicken with remaining olive oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place whole chicken, breast side down, in slow cooker pot on top of vegetables. Sprinkle chicken with paprika and cover and cook for about 9 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, cut into pieces, return chicken to slow cooker and serve family-style.
The Chef Marshall O’Brien Group is a dedicated assembly of professionals based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, committed to the goal of using nutrition to get kids and families to lead happier, healthier lives.