Enjoy the Minnesota summer with these five ideas to get out and get active
National Get Outdoors Day is June 11, and is a great opportunity to kick-start a healthy and active summer. Challenge your family to try these five ideas to enjoy the great outdoors this summer—and remember, the Y is here to help:
1: Take your workout outside at least once a week—think hiking, jogging, biking, paddling and swimming.
- Do it at the Y: YMCAs in Lino Lakes, New Hope, Prior Lake and White Bear Lake all have outdoor trails that members can use.
2: Create your own family camp experience—reserve a campsite or cabin and plan fun activities like canoeing/kayaking, fishing or geocaching.
- Do it at the Y: YMCA overnight camps for kids and family camp both help foster environmental awareness and teach valuable life skills.
3: Find an outdoor pool for safe fun in the sun.
- Do it at the Y: Several YMCAs have outdoor water features and are hosting free parties for the community, plus Camp Manitou has new features that are open to the public—check it out during an open house on June 18.
4: Plan a summer staycation—at a park, around the lake or at an event.
- Do it at the Y: Get tickets to Lakefront Music Fest, July 15-16 where your family can jam out to country and rock acts over two days—plus, kids 13 and under get in for free .
5: Designate some family meals as “al fresco”—whether it’s dining on the backyard patio or deck, or on a picnic table at a nearby park.
- Do it at the Y: Find mealtime ideas and nutritious recipes from the YMCA’s partnership with the Chef Marshall O’Brien Group.