SAVORY TURKEY BURGERS
By the Chef Marshall O’Brien Group
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or ground rice cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 whole-grain or whole wheat burger buns
- Kimchi or sauerkraut from the refrigerated section of grocery store, and/or
- 1 cup mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
- ½ of a medium sweet onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices deli-style mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix bread crumbs, egg, herbs and salt.
- Add ground turkey and mix well.
- Make burger patties about the diameter of the burger buns.
- Cook optional condiments: Using a skillet on medium heat, melt butter and cook sliced mushrooms and onions until tender and browned, about 10 minutes; stir periodically during cooking. Turn off heat, cover pan and hold mushroom/onion mixture in skillet while grilling burgers.
- Pan fry, broil or grill patties until browned and firm, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- If desired, toast buns in grill or oven.
- Top turkey burgers with cheese and kimchi or sauerkraut and/or onion/mushroom mixture.
The Chef Marshall O’Brien Group is a dedicated assembly of professionals based in Minneapolis, Minnesota committed to the goal of using nutrition to help children and families lead happier, healthier lives.