Balance and Flex Together improves your stability, strength and focus.
Balance and Flex Together is a 60-minute, choreographed Group Exercise class that uses bodyweight movements with elements of yoga and Pilates.
You may think a workout that uses beautiful movements, meditation and breath work sounds gentle. But don’t be fooled. You will work. Hard. And you will sweat. A lot.
What to expect in Balance and Flex Together classes
Each Balance & Flex Together class follows a consistent format, but the music and movements change on a regular basis to keep things interesting.
In every class, you’ll spend time on each of the following 10 segments:
- Focus—Warm up your body and mind with athletic, functional and full-body movements.
- Salutations—Get ready to sweat through traditional yoga poses designed to build strength and stamina.
- Challenge—Work your lower body with challenging standing yoga poses.
- Balance—Focus on balance and burn calories while the intensity lessens for a bit.
- Core—Train your back to create muscle balance and improve posture. Strengthen your abs and stabilize your pelvis with popular Pilates exercises.
- Hips—Promote stability and mobility, and encourage a healthy, pain-free back and spine with hip exercises.
- Spirals—Improve the mobility, flexibility and stability of your spine with rotational exercises.
- Folds—Stretch your back and hamstrings to soothe a physically and mentally stressed body.
- Restore—Recover from the workout with a “mini vacation” that leaves you feeling ready to take on the world.
Why give Balance and Flex Together a try?
“This class helps you to move in a way that’s built for life,” promises instructor Kathy Erickson, a Personal Trainer at the Southdale Y. “Balance is important for all ages. Whether you walk on a beach, on snow, up the stairs, or in a parking lot—it’s always one foot at a time, and that’s when balance comes into play.”
Additionally, this class can help you balance your overall fitness routine. For example, if your workouts tend to focus on resistance training, Balance and Flex Together counters that with a focus on stretching. Or if your workouts tend to be more cardio-based, this class allows you to integrate more mindfulness.
Whether you’re new to exercise or are at peak performance, it’s easy to work at your own pace in this class. As a regular Balance and Flex Together participant, you can expect to:
- Improve your flexibility and range of motion
- Increase your muscle tone and core control
- Improve coordination and symmetry
- Increase your body awareness and confidence
If you’ve never tried Balance and Flex Together before …
Know that this class is scalable and accessible for all fitness levels. You can adjust the routine as needed—the intensity of the workout can go from light to intense, and movements can be simple or complex.
“The important thing is to be aware of what your body is telling you and respect that,” says Erickson. “And don’t worry about how you look!”
Previous yoga or Pilates experience is not required. That said, if you like yoga or Pilates, this class will feel familiar … but you will move more.
Come to class dressed in comfortable, functional clothing that allows you to move your body. Bring your own yoga mat or use one provided by the Y. A water bottle and towel are also a good idea (because: sweat).