By the Chef Marshall O’Brien Group
Use a slow cooker to make this hearty cool weather meal and it will be ready when your family walks in the door starving after work or school. It is chockful of flavor, healthy fiber and beneficial spices.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 14.5-ounce cans Great Northern white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1 4.5-ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Optional garnishes: diced avocado, finely diced, seeded jalapeño pepper, chopped cilantro, Mexican (or other) cheese shreds, Greek yogurt, tortilla chips
- Mash two cans of beans with a potato masher or blender.
- Place diced chicken breast in bottom of slow cooker, add remaining ingredients and mix ingredients together.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours until chicken is cooked.
- Serve with garnishes of choice.
The Chef Marshall O’Brien Group is a dedicated assembly of professionals based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, committed to the goal of using nutrition to get kids and families to lead happier, healthier lives.