We welcome parents/guardians, family and friends to visit camp for their camper's Closing Celebration. After a Widji group returns from their canoeing or backpacking trip, they clean their equipment, check in their gear, shower and then prepare to celebrate their experience.
Dates & Registration
Closing Celebrations are always the day before the session ends. For example, if the session dates are July 5-15, the Closing Celebration is July 14. There is no charge to attend your camper's Closing Celebration but we request that families register one week in advance. If you have any trouble registering for your camper's Closing Celebration, please call 612-822-2267.
*Please note: Voyageur and Mountaineer Closing Celebrations will follow an altered schedule which will be sent to the Parents/Guardians of those campers and will include a banquet meal for registered guests.
Meal & Lodging Options for Visitors
Starting during the summer of 2020, Widji will be reserving our banquet dinners for campers and their groups. Families and friends will be invited to join in the celebration after dinner to enjoy dessert, singing songs and attending a reflective campfire.
Visitors may choose to eat at one of many delicious restaurants in Ely or have a picnic in the beautiful Superior National Forest that surrounds Widji before arriving at camp.
Lodging for the evening can be found at nearby campgrounds, resorts or motels. For information about area accommodations and restaurant options, call the Ely Chamber of Commerce at 800-777-7281 or visit the website at ely.org.
Widji will continue to offer breakfast to registered families on the last morning of their camper's session prior to departure. Breakfast reservations are required at least one week in advance and are taken on a first come, first served basis. We encourage families to register for breakfast well in advance as these meals often fill early.
Closing Celebration Schedule for Visitors
Closing Celebration Day:
- 5:30 - 6:00 p.m. - Welcome and the Sigurd Olson Center
- 6:15 - 6:45 p.m. - Dessert and Songs at the Kirby Dining Hall
- 6:45 - 7:30 p.m. - Social Time and Camp Tour (starts from Tripping Center Circle)
- 7:30 p.m. - Closing Campfire (at Amphitheater or Kirby Dining Hall depending on weather)
Last day of camp:
- 8 a.m.—Breakfast in Kirby Lodge dining hall.
- 9 a.m.—Campers depart Widji from the Sigurd Olson Center
- Breakfast: $10 per guest (No charge for children 5 and under)
- Campfire and social hour: All are welcome