How are staff selected?
- Each staff member goes through an extensive hiring process including a criminal history background check, reference checks and an interview.
- Staff receive over 40 hours of training including training in camp program areas, relating to children, health and safety skills and are First Aid and CPR certified.
- All staff are committed to being positive role models for campers.
Where is the lost and found?
- Lost items will be held for two weeks, and after that they will be given away to a local charity. Please check with the Camp Staff AND the Midway YMCA for lost items. The lost and found is located at Camp HQ under the Picnic Pavilion.
- We will do our best to help campers remember their things, however, the YMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
What about rainy days and severe heat?
- Camp is held rain or shine. We have many fun-filled activities planned for rainy days. CAMPERS MUST DRESS ACCORDINGLY FOR THE WEATHER WITH APPROPRIATE RAIN GEAR!
- Your child may come home wet and muddy. Activities are modified outside to fit rainy days and will continue as long as it is not lightning or thundering. Some of the best camp memories for children can be had on rainy days!
- In case of severe rain or thunderstorms campers will be bussed back to the Midway YMCA to continue activities inside for the remainder of the day.
- To keep campers safe during extremely hot days, we will occasionally cancel certain activities. We always encourage campers to drink lots of water and will play more water games and stay in the shade.
Is camp prepared for severe weather?
- All of our staff have been trained in emergency procedures.
- If a tornado warning has been issued while the children are at camp, they will be instructed to go to the Tornado Shelter.
- The camp director will notify the YMCA immediately if the bus will be delayed.
What should I do if someone else is picking up my camper?
- If you are arranging for persons who are not on your authorized to transport list to pick up your child from camp, you must send a written permission slip.
- We will not accept phone calls.
- Authorized individuals will be responsible for signing your child in and/or out.
- VERY IMPORTANT: you and all authorized persons need a picture ID to pick up your camper(s)!
What if I’m late for pick up?
- We will try and reach you.
- If we do not reach you, we will call persons listed as emergency contacts.
- Campers will be transported to the Before and After Care site.
- After 1 hour we will call authorities to ensure the safety of your child.
What are the safety guidelines followed for boating?
- Our boating program is an introductory opportunity for children to learn basic boating and safety skills.
- All children and staff wear life jackets while in the boats and a Certified Lifeguard is always present and in sight of all boats while children are boating.
What if my child(ren) is ill or will not be able to attend Day Camp during the week?
Please call camp. If no one is available to take your call, please leave a message.
What if my child is injured during the program?
- If your child is injured YMCA staff will notify you.
- In case of an emergency, YMCA staff will:
- Call 911, perform immediate First Aid and contact you. After 911 has been called, it is then up to the emergency response team to decide what actions will be taken.
- Staff will accompany the child to the hospital and stay until the parent/guardian arrives, if emergency transport is required.
- If a parent/guardian is not able to be reached, we will continue to call through your designated emergency contact list until contact is made.
My child needs care before and after the bus stop times. What is available?
- Before and after care provides the camper with supervised activities prior to and following the end of the program day.
- A late fee of $1.00 per minute must be paid at the time of pick-up.
- Select Dates & Rates for specific before and after care information.
Is your question not listed above? Find more answers or submit a question to YMCA Customer Service!