You may be at risk for type 2 diabetes and not even know it. Of the 86 million Americans with prediabetes, only about 9 million people know they have it. Some indicators can include:
- Being overweight
- Not being active most days
- Being over age 45
- Blood pressure of 140/90 or higher
- Elevated cholesterol levels
- Having a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Having had a diagnosis of gestational diabetes
To determine your risk for developing type 2 diabetes (and eligibility to participate in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program), complete the risk assessment:
If you scored a 9 or higher, then you may be at risk for prediabetes or diabetes, and may qualify for the program. This does not necessarily mean you have diabetes. You will need a blood test to confirm if you have diabetes.
If you’re at risk and are interested in participating in the program, contact us at 612-230-3487 for more information.