Event celebrates healthy lifestyles for a growing aging population
Nearly 1,000 people ages 55 to 100 arrived at the Minneapolis Convention Center on October 10 to attend one of the state’s largest and fastest growing annual events for older adults—the 12th Annual Gathering.
Here’s a look at what the program included this year:
- Educational sessions to learn about aging well by managing arthritis pain, navigating Medicare, leveraging technology and more
- Opportunities to get active with line dancing and active mindfulness
- A luncheon program, including a talent show featuring Y members and entertainment from the Blaisdell Y’s own Clark Adams
- Presentations of the Thrive Awards to seniors who have inspired others and strengthened their communities through exercise, volunteering, social interaction and perseverance
- Virginia, who at 100 years old still parks in the furthest part of the Y lot to get a few extra steps in before her workout
- Frank, who leads his community in service by organizing donation drives, running a prayer chain and connecting with other Y members
- Lolita, who in her short time since joining the Y has brought new perspectives and new friendships to the Eastside YMCA ForeverWell community
Every day, the Y incorporates physical, mental and social aspects of well-being into its programs and services to help older adults live healthier and better lives.