A Typical Class
Your instructor will map out a plan tailored to your needs and find the right intensity for you. Your instructor will show you the proper way of using the equipment. You will use the equipment in our Fitness Studios to perform assigned rotations such as lifting free weights, using elastic exercise bands or using adjustable commercial cable machines.
- Progressive resistance exercise builds muscle tissue that facilitates physical performance and enhances energy utilization.
- Strength training is the only type of exercise that can maintain muscle and metabolism as we age.
Tips + Preparation
New to class? Arrive a little early so our instructor can give you some pointers.
- Warm up for at least 10 minutes before exercising and cool down for at least 10 minutes after.
- Maintain good upright posture during all exercises
- Breathe, breathe, breathe – don’t hold your breath while exercising
- Don’t grip your weights tightly
- All movements should be done in a slow to moderate and deliberate manner
- Our classes are cell-phone and PDA-free environments. Please turn them off during class.
The Y provides all equipment for this class
Attire and What to Bring
- Come to class dressed and ready to move your body
- Loose-fitting, comfortable clothing made of breathable material to allow air flow
- Athletic shoes that provide adequate support and good traction to avoid slipping
- Water bottle