A Typical Class
Students place their mats facing the front of the room in a loose grid. Our class focuses on poses that stretch and strengthen areas that are typically tight or weak such as ankles, hips, hamstrings, low backs and pectorals. We allow time for our participants to successfully and gently move from one pose to the next. We begin with a breathing exercise, followed by warm-up poses, more vigorous poses and stretches then final relaxation.
- Increased muscle tone
- Increased balance
- Increased strength
- Improved mood
- Increased lung capacity
- Improved posture
- Better sleep
- Yoga can also counteract stress over time
Tips + Preparation
New to class? Arrive a little early so our instructor can give you some pointers.
- Tell the instructor if this is your first class.
- Familiarize yourself with some beginners’ yoga poses
- Eat lightly before class starts; don’t have a big meal
- Drink water during class and after
- Do not wear shoes or socks during class
- Our classes are cell-phone and PDA-free environments. Please turn them off during class.
The Y provides all equipment for this class
Attire and What to Bring
- Come to class dressed and ready to move your body
- Loose-fitting, comfortable clothing made of breathable material to allow air flow
- Water bottle