A Typical Class
Class begins with a brief educational component on relevant topics such as the principles of strength training, resistance and repetitions, breathing, and training frequency. Each week you will focus on two opposing muscle groups as your trainer leads you through the set-up, proper form and resistance, and any modifications your body requires.
As the session progresses, you will review the prior week’s exercises to build your confidence.
- Confidence in your ability to perform the exercises with great technique and form
- Build strength
- Improved balance and flexibility
- Increased metabolism
- Manage your own progress and workout
Tips + Preparation
- New to class? Arrive a little early so our instructor can give you some pointers.
- Warm up for at least 10 minutes before exercising and cool down for at least 10 minutes after.
- Maintain good upright posture during all exercises
- Breathe, breathe, breathe – don’t hold your breath while exercising
- Don’t grip your weights tightly
- All movements should be done in a slow to moderate and deliberate manner
- Our classes are cell-phone and PDA-free environments. Please turn them off during class.
The Y provides all equipment for this class
Attire and What to Bring
- Come to class dressed and ready to move your body
- Loose-fitting, comfortable clothing made of breathable material to allow air flow
- Athletic shoes that provide adequate support and good traction to avoid slipping
- Water bottle