Why Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. This 8-hour training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
Who should take it:
- Police officers
- Hospital staff
- First responders
- Faith leaders
- Community members
- Caring individuals
What it covers:
- Common signs and symptoms of mental illness.
- Common signs and symptoms of substance use.
- How to interact with a person in crisis.
- How to connect the person with help.
- NEW: How to administer naloxone in the event of an opioid overdose.
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen nonjudgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies