Diversify your fitness routine with group training
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a 12-week small-group fitness program for adult cancer survivors who have become de-conditioned or chronically fatigued from their treatment and/or disease.
This program includes:
- Free 12-week YMCA Membership for survivor and primary caregiver
- Two 75-minute classes per week
- A combination of individual instruction and group activities
- Workouts include cardiovascular exercise, strength training, stretching, and balance work
- Full facility access to the Rochester Area Family YMCA
February 26 - May 16
Tuesday/Thursday 1:30-2:45 pm session
September 17 - December 5
1:30-2:45 pm session
October 1 - December 19
6:00-7:15 pm session
February 4, 2020 - April 23, 2020
1:30-2:45 pm session
Please contact us using the form below to register.
Reaching goals together
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. The Y and LIVESTRONG® have joined together to create LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors reclaim their total health.
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals such as building muscle mass and strength; increasing flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence and self-esteem. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscular strength and endurance
- Improve flexibility
- Improve circulation and functional ability to complete everyday tasks
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Restore balance
- Improve body image
- Reduce stress levels
- Build supportive relationships in a comfortable and safe environment
Our LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA Instructors are certified fitness instructors that give personal instruction in a group setting. Each instructor has undergone specialized training in the elements of cancer, post cancer exercise, nutrition, and supportive cancer care.
Criteria for participations
Any adult who is currently going through cancer treatment or has gone through some form of cancer treatment (i.e. surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, etc.) in the past that wants to regain their health and well-being.
- Strong personal desire - participant needs to enroll in the program
- Personally commit to attending all classes
- Inform your physician that you plan to join the program
- Participants must receive medical clearance and are evaluated on an individual basis
- Complete our screening forms and answer a health questionnaire
- Give permission for the LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA Program Coordinator to contact your health care provider if necessary
*This class is recommended for individuals who have recently finished cancer treatment or are survivors looking to regain their health and well-being. Enrollment will be handled on a case-by-case basis.