YMCA membership includes agreeing to policies designed to help everyone feel good about being a part of the Y. Each year, we ask all members to review and follow the:
Membership Code of Conduct
YMCA Member, Participant, and Guest Code of Conduct
Our membership code of conduct embodies the spirit of the Y, and is intended to help everyone including members, participants, and guests feel welcome and safe at the YMCA.
As a member, participant or guest, you agree to follow our code of conduct which is rooted in the values of caring, honesty, responsibility, and respect. That’s why the following personal conduct is prohibited in all YMCA facilities, programs, and online communities:
- Inappropriate attire. Appropriate attire must be worn at all times. No clothing with vulgar language, obscene gestures, racial slurs, or anything that contributes to a hostile environment or would be considered inappropriate in a family facility.
- Inappropriate language. Hostile or vulgar language, including swearing, name-calling or shouting.
- Threatening physical contact. Physical contact with another person in any hostile or threatening way including but not limited to “play fighting”.
- Sexual activity. Any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person.
- Harassment / intimidation. Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language or any menacing behavior that demeans another person or culture.
- Theft / destruction of property. Theft or behavior that results in the destruction of property.
- Weapons. Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices or objects that may be used as weapons (including items that appear to be real). The YMCA bans all weapons on premises with or without a permit.
- Illegal chemicals or alcohol. Using or possessing alcohol or drugs on YMCA property, in YMCA vehicles, or at YMCA sponsored programs.
- Inappropriate conduct. Any other conduct of an inappropriate, threatening or offensive nature.
- Loitering. Loitering is not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs.
- Inappropriate cell phone activity. Cell phone or photographic/video equipment use of any kind – organizing playlists, music, texting, camera functions, video recording – is not permitted in the locker rooms at any time. Phone calls are not allowed in fitness areas.
- Tobacco. The use of tobacco or tobacco-like products, including e-cigarettes, are not permitted in or outside YMCA facilities or programs, or on YMCA property or program sites. YMCA facilities, ground, and vehicles are a tobacco-free environment.
- Social Media. Use of social networking websites in a manner that is contrary to the YMCA’s mission, is detrimental to the community or is in violation of the law.
If a member, participant or guest feels uncomfortable in confronting someone directly about offensive behavior or other issues that are in violation of the code of conduct they should report the behavior to a YMCA team member.
Suspension or termination of YMCA membership may result from a violation of this Code of Conduct. While an incident is being investigated, the membership of the person(s) accused of violating this Code of Conduct may be temporarily suspended pending a final decision.
To create and maintain a space that embodies our core values, the Y is serious about being clear regarding activities that are not allowed. If you or your invited guests violate this code of conduct, consequences can include termination of membership or program privileges. The YMCA reserves the right to make situational decisions based on its mission and values.
When things change, and you’d like to switch or cancel your registration for this Y program, learn what to do.