Welcoming Week expands on YMCA New American Welcome Centers that build bridges for newcomers to our communities
Minneapolis, MN – The YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities, a leading nonprofit dedicated to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, will join Welcoming America and hundreds of YMCAs and other organizations nationwide in hosting events to celebrate immigrants’ contributions to our communities during Welcoming Week, September 15 – 24.
Welcoming Week will expand upon the work the YMCA is doing in its New American Welcome Centers, which help connect newcomers to community resources and build connections. Watch this video to learn more about YMCA New American Welcome Centers: YMCA New American Welcome Centers
“Our YMCA believes the Twin Cities is stronger when everyone in the community feels welcome,” said Hedy Lemar Walls, chief social responsibility officer of the Y. “Welcoming Week is an opportunity for neighbors – both immigrants and U.S.-born residents – to connect, find common ground and celebrate our shared values. Cross-cultural understanding and relationships build a stronger community for all of us.”
Events in the Twin Cities include:
- Community Resource Fair with food, dance, music, community services and flu shots
- White Bear Area YMCA (2100 Orchard Lane in White Bear Lake), Friday, September 22 from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Maplewood Community Center YMCA (2100 White Bear Avenue in Maplewood), Tuesday, September 19 from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Health and Wellness Resource Fair including interactive youth activities, information about the Y Diabetes Prevention Program, food shelf, health screenings and a sports sampler
- Minnetonka Heights apartment complex (5809 County Road 101 in Hopkins), Thursday, September 21 from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Ridgedale YMCA (12301 Ridgedale Drive in Minnetonka), Thursday, September 21 from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Mexican Independence Day celebration with a Latino dance group, free Zumba classes, a Mexican food truck, music and more
- West St. Paul YMCA (150 Thompson Avenue East in West St. Paul), Saturday, September 16 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Community Picnic with food and cultural conversations
- Burnsville YMCA (13850 Portland Avenue South in Burnsville), Saturday, September 16 from 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Open House with food, conversations, and fun activities
- River Valley YMCA (3575 North Berens Road Northwest in Prior Lake), Saturday, September 23 from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Community Event with food, community resources, and youth 5-on-5 basketball tournament
- Emma B Howe YMCA (8950 Springbrook Drive Northwest in Coon Rapids), Saturday, September 23 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Community Event with a variety of cultural foods, Somali community resources, group exercise classes
- Eastside YMCA (875 Arcade Street in Saint Paul), Friday, September 22 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.