- Studies show that outdoor winter activities help get blood pumping and make vitamin D, an essential nutrient the body needs to fight off germs.
- Research suggests that exercising during the winter can reduce a person’s chance of catching a cold or the flu.
- Research suggests that outdoor play can benefit the mental, emotional and physical development of children.
- A National Trust Survey found that kids aged 10 to 16 spend fewer than 15 minutes engaged in vigorous outdoor activity each day.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states children ages 8-10 spend almost six hours a day in front of a screen using entertainment media.
The YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities, a leading nonprofit dedicated to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, offers winter camp adventures for everyone to embrace the great outdoors.
Research shows proximity, views and daily exposure to nature settings increases the ability to focus and enhances cognitive abilities. The YMCA supports a positive relationship with the outdoors year round by providing opportunities for all to realize the benefits of nature during the winter as well as spring, summer and fall.
“The YMCA is committed to providing everyone meaningful outdoor experiences away from TV and computer screens and enjoy nature year round,” said Glen Gunderson, president and chief executive officer for the YGTC. “The Y is asking the community to ‘Get Outdoors’ as part of the Y’s nature initiative to combat nature deficit. Winter camp experiences are a great way to spend time outside and enjoy new experiences with family, friends and the community.”
Gunderson added that the Y offers individual and group opportunities for youth, adults, families and seniors to participate in fun winter activities at camp including:
- Ice fishing
- Dog sledding
- Snow fort building
- Arts and crafts
Learn about how youth enjoy winter camp - YMCA Camp in All Seasons For Youth
Explore opportunities for families and adults to enjoy winter adventures - YMCA Discover a Winter Wonderland
Discover how camp provides fun outdoor activities year round - YMCA Camp is Not Just for Summer Fun
See how friends, classes, groups, families and individuals enjoy camp - YMCA Camp is for Everyone
To learn more about year round YMCA camp opportunities, please visit ymcamn.org/camps.
Because the Y is a leading nonprofit committed to helping all thrive, financial assistance is available to those in need. With the generous support of donors such as the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation and community members, the Y ensures that all have the opportunity to participate. To learn more, please visit ymcamn.org.