Our Y is being renovated on the inside and out. The Y will remain open during construction and we’ll keep you updated here.
What is the scope of the renovations?
- You’ll see renovations and improvements throughout the facility.
- First, the front entrance will shift during construction to the fitness center entrance while work on the new lobby and entryway is taking place.
- NEW Fitness Center – a 9,000 sq ft addition will connect to the gym/track and the main corridor. Huge floor-to-ceiling windows will face Ridgedale Drive. You’ll have more equipment along with more space.
- Gym/track – these spaces will now be adjacent to the Fitness Center. We’ll refinish the gym floor and have a new track surface.
- Pool – The interior hallway viewing windows will be lowered to a comfortable level for easy viewing of Swim Academy lessons and other aquatic classes and activities. Look for fresh paint along with new signing and graphics.
- NEW Group Exercise Studio – by moving the current administrative offices, we’re adding another studio. The current Mind/Body studio will also move up to the main level.
- NEW Dedicated Space for 55+ Programming –the existing Fitness Center space is being converted to dedicated space for programming specifically for our 55+ adults.
- We have great plans for programming and activities that we’ll be sharing along the way. This is your space, so we’d love your input and ideas on programming options we might consider.
- Locker Rooms –All of the Men’s and Women’s locker rooms will be completely renovated. The Family Locker Room will get new lockers along with new carpet and a fresh new look.
- Youth Development Designated Space – The current Mind/Body studio and two racquetball courts will be converted to programming space for our youth.
- Front Desk/Lobby Area – Welcome to a completely new entrance and reconfigured space that will be more open, efficient and comfortable for gathering.
- Exterior – This will be a dramatic change with both the facility and the landscaping. Gone will be the big berm off Ridgedale Drive so you’ll now be able to view the building and enjoy the landscaping.
Thank you again, in advance, for your patience and cooperation as we undertake this renovation. We’re excited for the transition and are confident you’ll enjoy all the improvements and enhancements.
If you have questions or comments, don’t hesitate to contact Mark Ihrke, Executive Director, at 952-582-8259 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What will the facility look like?
- Renderings from the architects will be on display in the lobby area starting Monday, September 10.
How did you decide what renovations to make to the facility?
- The Y conducted an extensive market study and assessment to learn the needs of current Members and the community.
- We also had extensive discussion with City of Minnetonka officials and planners, and community leaders.
- That information was shared with our Community Board volunteers, in neighborhood meetings, and with our Business Development and Properties & Facilities teams.
- From their input, we then engaged the Frisbie architectural firm, who helped create the facility plan.
Will the Y close during construction?
- Your Y will remain open throughout the renovation and construction. We appreciate your patience as changes occur and apologize in advance for the inconveniences. It will definitely be worth it in the end.
- The Y has renovated a number of facilities over the past several years at Blaisdell, Shoreview, Woodbury and most recently, Southdale. We’ve learned along the way how to best minimize disruption to members.
How will you keep Members informed of what’s happening?
- Keeping you updated and well informed will be a high priority as construction progresses through the facility.
- Watch for signs that will give you advance notice of areas closing down.
- We have also set up a web page especially for Ridgedale Y members so you can get the latest news and information. Visit www.ridgedaleymca.org.
- We’ll also send email updates and have printed newsletters for those without email.
When will the construction be completed?
- We expect to be completing construction in February 2013 and are planning to have a Grand Opening Celebration in April.
What did the renovations cost?
- Your YMCA is investing $4 million in the enhancements and improvements to your facility.
- It is funded through special financing and the very generous contributions of some of your fellow Members, capital campaign donors, and community foundations.
- We are very grateful for the commitment of our donors and volunteers in making this renovation a reality.