Beat the winter workout blahs with water-based exercise
In addition to tackling treadmill boredom, a workout in the pool offers lots of benefits:
- Water takes pressure off your joints
- Water offers natural resistance to help with strength
- Water exercise is fun
If you’re interested in trying a water workout, check out guidelines for using the pool and find a location near you. Once you’re ready to dive in, here are some ideas to get you moving in the water:
Get creative during open swim
In addition to swimming laps, you can try lots of different exercises to strengthen your muscles and your endurance. Check out sample workouts from:
- Mayo Clinic Aquatic Exercises, including moves you can do with hand webs, water weights, kickboards and noodles
- U.S. Masters Swimming Workouts, that provide high intensity, focus on specific strokes and are appropriate for expectant mothers and those with limited mobility
- Water Walking 101 from the Arthritis Foundation, including how to do it, how you can add intensity and safety tips
Take a Group Exercise class
Drop in to a water exercise class at the Y—these classes are free for members. There are options in shallow or deep water, low-intensity and high-intensity choices, those that include dancing, walking and aerobics.
Challenge yourself with a Group Training class
These classes are available at select Y locations and require you to register ahead of time. Choose from:
- Stand Up Paddle Board Yoga, which starts February 6. Improve flexibility and core stability while you work on balance and strength.
- Water Kettlebells, which will help you develop strength, mobility and energy.
- Water Triathlon Training, which will help you prepare for the water leg of a triathlon with interval training and stroke development.
Up your swimming game with lessons
Swim Lessons are available for all ages—whether your goal is to learn to swim or to refine your strokes. Lessons are available during the day, in the evening and on weekends. Or, you can set your schedule with private and semi-private lessons.