Wellness for Older Adults
Group Exercise classes
These classes are designed specifically for older adults—and they are free for Y members. There’s no need to register ahead of time—join classes at any time.
- Group Cycle
- SilverSneakers® Circuit
- SilverSneakers® Classic
- SilverSneakers® Splash
- SilverSneakers® Yoga
- Strength Training
- Water X
Small Group Training classes
Sign up to work out with four to eight other participants and a Personal Trainer in a specialty class—these are not included with Y membership and require an additional fee. Classes run on a seven-week schedule and vary by location:
- ForeverWell Self Defense
- Boomer Strength
- Senior Games Training
- Strength Training for Seniors
- Young At Heart
More options to get active and stay healthy
Whether you’re looking for individualized attention or are interested in group coaching, Personal Training programs include a variety of options to meet your needs and support your path to a healthy lifestyle.
Y membership includes free meetings with fitness professionals to help you feel more comfortable at the YMCA.
- Personal Consultation—meet with a Personal Trainer for an hour to discuss your fitness, nutrition and wellness goals, and learn more about the Y services that will help you meet these goals.
- Fitness Assessment—meet with a Personal Trainer for 30 minutes to assess your current physical state. You can request a general fitness assessment or a fall-risk assessment.
- Orientation—join a group of fellow older adults for an introductory session on how to make the most of your Y experience. After orientation, expect to feel more confident and safe during workouts.
Events and activities
Field trips, social activities, special events and interest-based clubs—the Y offers a variety of fun for older adults. Get details on what your local Y offers with location-specific newsletters and schedules.
Do you qualify for free membership?
You might be eligible for free membership at the Y if your insurance includes the SilverSneakers® or Silver&Fit program. Participating insurance companies include:
- Blue Cross and BlueShield of Minnesota
Stop by Member Services at your local Y to see if you qualify.