By the Chef Marshall O’Brien Group
The vibrantly colored sweet potatoes and the artichokes in this dish are flavorful and rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Coupled with beneficial turmeric, curry powder and garlic, this veggie dish is a tasty way to fuel good gut health and take in some great anti-inflammatory spices at dinner. It’s great for lunch the next day, too!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups onion, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1½ teaspoons curry powder*
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in medium chunks
- 3 cups artichoke hearts, quartered, plain (not marinated)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup green onion, sliced
- Heat frying pan on medium heat. Add onions and both oils. Cook onions until softened and lightly browned, stirring periodically.
- Add turmeric, paprika, curry powder, garlic and stir.
- Add sweet potatoes and stir to combine. Add a few splashes of water to create steam, and cover. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook, stirring periodically, until sweet potatoes start to soften, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add artichokes to pan and mix well. Cook until mixture is fragrant and artichokes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add ¾ of the green onions, sprinkle with salt, gently mix together and remove from heat.
- Garnish with remainder of green onions. Serve with brown basmati rice, if desired.
*I suggest Frontier Organic brand or make your own curry powder.
The Chef Marshall O’Brien Group is a dedicated assembly of professionals based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, committed to the goal of using nutrition to get kids and families to lead happier, healthier lives.