Minneapolis, MN – The YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities, a leading nonprofit dedicated to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, will host its 13th annual Gathering to celebrate seniors living healthy lifestyles on Monday, September 17 at the Minneapolis Convention Center.
Nearly 1,000 seniors ages 65 to 100 attend educational sessions to learn about developing healthy habits, managing hand pain, realizing whole-body wellbeing, eating well and being their own personal advocate at the doctor’s office. There will be opportunities to get active by engaging in activities like line dancing and Tai Chi. Participants will also visit with representatives from approximately 60 local organizations that offer products and services for healthy and active aging.
The 13th annual Gathering will conclude with a luncheon program, including a talent show featuring Y members; presentations of Thrive awards to seniors who have inspired and strengthened their communities through exercise, volunteering and social interaction; as well as entertainment from Minnesota-based musical act, the Grace Notes.
The Gathering is sponsored by SilverSneakers by Tivity Health, Summit Orthopedics, BlueCross BlueShield of Minnesota, UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement Insurance Solutions, Matrix Fitness, Medica Foundation and Octane Fitness.
YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities
YMCA 13th Annual Gathering
Minneapolis Convention Center at 1301 2nd Avenue South in Minneapolis, MN 55403
Monday, September 17, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Luncheon program begins at 12:15 p.m.
- 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Line dancing and Tai Chi sessions
- 12:35 p.m. - Entertainment by the Grace Notes
- 1:05 p.m. – Presentation of ForeverWell Thrive awards to celebrate outstanding Y members
- 81-year-old man who bikes 12 miles to the Y frequently and leads a local fundraiser where proceeds go towards scholarships for youth affected by cancer
- 69 and 76-year-old couple that is considered the mom and pop of their Y, by constantly giving back to their fellow members
- 73-year-old woman who feels called to volunteer and pay forward the kindness shown to her and inspire others who are dealing with health issues by volunteering at various local communities
- 78 and 80-year old couple who work together as a team to welcome others to the community and make sure everyone feels included
- 1:25 p.m. – YMCA skits and talent show acts, including dancing, singing and more.
About the YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities
The YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities is a leading nonprofit dedicated to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Established 162 years ago, the Ys provide life-strengthening services across 12 counties of the greater Twin Cities metro region, southeastern Minnesota and western Wisconsin communities. The 28 Y locations and program sites, seven overnight camps, 10 day camps, and more than 90 child care sites engage more than 350,000 men, women and children of all ages, incomes and backgrounds. To learn more about the Y’s mission and work, visit www.ymcamn.org.