A Typical Class
Carefully chosen music tracks for maximum effect guide participants through the 60-minute class. The session begins with a warm-up using only light weights. Your instructor guides you through the main portion of the workout as class focuses on the major muscle groups. You’ll feel the burn. Class ﬁnishes, accompanied by down tempo music, with\ stretches to ﬁnish the workout and help reduce the risk of muscle soreness or injury.
- Burns up to 600 calories per class for fat loss
- Improves strength
- Improves general ﬁtness
- Shapes and tones muscles
- Improves bone density (helps ward off osteoporosis)
- Promotes the feeling of strength and conﬁdence
Tips and Preparation
New to class? Arrive a little early so our instructor can give you some pointers.
- Arrive 5 minutes early so you have time to gather and set-up your equipment
- Good posture is the foundation of all exercise. Focus on getting your technique right. Check out Learn the Moves for more specific advice
- Don’t overdo it with the weights – BodyPump™ uses high repetition to tone and strengthen
- Start gradually increasing weights after six weeks
- Protect your joints. Always keep them slightly bent – not locked – and perform movements smoothly
- The Y provides all equipment for this class
Attire and What to Bring
- Come to class dressed and ready to move your body
- Comfortable, functional clothing made of breathable material to allow air flow
- Proper gym shoes, comfortable fit. We recommend cross-trainers over running shoes, because they’ll give you better foot support for the types of movement you’ll be doing in class.
- Water, towel